Archers are a class that specializes almost exclusively in missile weapons. As such, they are without peer in terms of damage, accuracy, and range with any sort of missile, and as they advance in level, become one of the more powerful classes in ADOM. Their stats and skillset are heavily tilted towards their missile abilities, boasting high dexterity and perception, and the skills Archery, Fletchery, and Concentration. Many races make excellent Archers, notably Orcs and Dark Elves which add Find Weakness to the skillset, Hurthlings for their exceptional starting rock throwing ability, or Gray/High Elves or even Humans for higher dexterity and excellent starting equipment.
Basic Information Edit
Base Stats Edit
The base stats for male Archers are tabulated below. Female Archers will have approximately -1 Strength and +1 Dex. Note that any value may vary from these typical values by around +/-5 due to starsigns or birth effects. See Talk:Archer for details on how these tables were generated. Archers typically receive a large bonus to Strength, Dexterity, and Perception, although all of their stats are above-average.
Starting Skills Edit
|Skill||Typical Value||Typical Modifier||Available Ingame?|
Crowning Gifts Edit
Of these, generally the most desired (in 1.1.1) are Sun's Messenger and Far Slayer. As of 1.2.0p20, True Aim and Thunderstroke have been given the returning property, making them arguably the most powerful two items in the game for an archer - as a one shot weapon, they're underwhelming, but as an effectively infinite shot weapon (given standard archer dexterity), they make just about any non-doppelganger opponent trivial. It's not unheard of to kill the ACW in two shots.
Special Abilities Edit
Class Abilities Edit
- Archers receive a bonus of +1 to-hit for every 10 points of Archery and +1 to-damage for every 20 points of Archery, giving them a net result of +10 to-hit and +5 to-damage, compared to the usual +5 to-hit and +2 to-damage.
- Archers seem to find ammunition and fletchery sets more easily than other classes.
- Archers always start with at least 1 skill level in their starting missile weapon.
- Archers have an uncanny ability to dodge missiles. These missiles often fly past the archer.
- Heir gift: A stack of winged missiles of hunting; the type and quantity of missiles depends on the PC's race:
- Humans, High Elves, Gray Elves, Mist Elves: 40 winged mithril arrows of hunting
- Trolls, Hurthlings: 60 winged rocks of hunting
- Dark Elves: 40 winged dark elven quarrels of hunting
- Dwarves, Gnomes, Orcs, Drakelings, Ratlings: 40 winged mithril quarrels of hunting. Note that drakish archers do not start with a crossbow!
Class Powers Edit
- Level 6: Missile attacks have an energy cost of 800. Stacks with Quick Shot and Lightning Shot.
- Level 12: Missiles have twice their usual range.
- Level 18: Master fletcher. Evidence suggests that this has no effect on the quantity of missiles produces, but does halve the time taken to produce them. Whether or not this has any effect on the quality of missiles is not clear.
- Level 25: Missile attacks have an energy cost of 600. Stacks with Quick Shot and Lightning Shot.
- Level 32: Dodge missiles more easily. Details of this effect still need to be tested.
- Level 40: 20% of missiles can penetrate armor. Stacks with slaying and all other missile effects.
- Level 50: Missiles hit multiple targets. They seem to keep going until they either break, or they reach whatever monster was initially targeted.
Starting Gear Edit
|Human||Troll||High Elf||Gray Elf||Dark Elf|