This is a page about a playable character class. For other uses, see Assassin.
Assassins are branded by the manual as masters of stealth and guile, skilled at killing in shadows or with deadly poison. In reality, Assassins have a very flexible skillset that can lend itself to a variety of playing styles, including an enviable skillset for any melee fighter that includes Dodge, Find Weakness, Backstabbing and Alertness. Their abilities with missile weapons are notable thanks to the Archery and Find Weakness skills. They are also the only combat-oriented class trained in Alchemy, a skill that can be made excellent use of. Nearly any race can make an effective Assassin, depending on playing style: Drakelings, Gnomes, Humans, Hurthlings, and Dwarves all offer some nice advantages; for players who enjoy Trolls, Assassin is one of the best (if not the best) skillsets for a Troll.
Basic Information Edit
Base Stats Edit
The base stats for male Assassins are tabulated below. Female Assassins will, on average, have -1 Strength and +1 Dexterity compared to males. Note that any value may vary from these typical values by around +/-5 due to starsigns or birth effects, and further if the question system is not employed. See Talk:Archer for details on how these tables were generated.
Starting Skills Edit
|Skill||Typical Value||Typical Modifier||Available In-game?|
|Two Weapon Combat||20||3d3||Yes|
Crowning Gifts Edit
Assassins have a 50% chance of getting an extremely desirable humanoid slaying weapon: Executor, Kinslayer and Serpent's Bite. Even if they don't get one, The Far Slayer and Cloak of Oman are both very decent. The Far Slayer increases missile damage output considerably, including that of your quarrels of slaying. The cloak of Oman is indestructible and has excellent powers, whereas normal cloaks don't usually give much beyond some armor rating and are quickly destroyed.
Special Abilities Edit
Class Abilities Edit
- Dagger expertise: Assassins start with extra skill levels in the dagger categories compared with other classes — Assassins of all races start at level 4 with Thrown Daggers, with Trolls, Elves, Dwarves and Orcs starting at level 4 in Daggers & Knives and other races at level 5.
- Heir gift: Poisonous adamantium dagger (+0, 1d4+5 or more).
Class Powers Edit
- Level 6: Can make potions of poison from other potions — not water or carrot juice.
- Level 12: Backstabbing gets more deadly. The exact effect is extra 2x modifier for backstabs , this can be further multiplied by critical hit and blessed weapon against some enemies. So this could be 2x for backstab 2x for level power 2x critical 1.5x against undead and daemons for total 12x.
- Backstabbing bonus was increased [] in 1.2.0pre7. Exact mechanics are not known at the moment.
- Level 18: Missile range is increased by 30%.
- Level 25: Critical hit chance is increased by 20%.
- Level 32: Dodge bonus is doubled. This yields a maximum of +10 DV.
- Level 40: Poison immunity.
- Level 50: Random chance to instakill a monster. Exact chance depends on the level of the monster, but the details are not known. Don't expect this to work on those you really want it to.
Starting Gear Edit
|Human||Troll||High Elf||Grey Elf||Dark Elf|