This is a page about playable character class. For other uses, see Priest.
Priest is a class in ADOM.
Priests are masters of clerical and divine magic. They are the most effective class at casting clerical spells and are overall very good magic users, though not quite as effective at arcane magic as Wizards or Necromancers. They are also notable for being the most proficient class with the Detect item status skill (and one of only two classes that start with it at all) — meaning that in little time, Priests can easily spot the danger of cursed items. This ability can range from saving the player from frustration by spotting cursed equipment before the PC equips it, to possibly saving the PC's life in the case of girdles of carrying. Priests start the game with higher piety than other classes.
Priests are not only very good magic users and can easily identify the B/U/C status of any item, but Priests are also very proficient at both curative skills (Healing and First aid) and Priests of many races start off very well equipped. These qualities make Priests one of the easiest classes to play as... though not necessarily the easiest to win with. Priests may need to practise melee combat as well as spells to take down some stubborn foes, even though it is harder for them to advance weapon skill levels than most other classes (though not as hard as for 'pure caster' classes like Wizards or Elementalists).
Most races can make good Priests. Elves in particular make excellent Priests, due to their magical talents and superior starting equipment. Dark Elves are particularly noteworthy as they add two important skills — Alertness and Find weakness — to the Priest's skill pool. Dwarves and Drakelings also make very respectable Priests. Trolls and Orcs, whilst lacking in ascribed magical talents, can fare quite well as the talents they achieve as Priests can allow them to become great fighters with a reasonable knowledge of spells. Hurthlings, on the other hand, are probably not well suited to the job due to their lack of fighting or casting talents.
Basic Information Edit
Base/Typical Stats Edit
The base stats for grown up male Priests are tabulated below; female characters will have approximately -1 Strength and +1 Dex, and young characters have slightly less Strength, Learning and Willpower. These stats were generated using the method described on the Talk:Archer page; except with star sign factored in. Variations of +/- 5 to each stat will usually exist; or even more if the question system is skipped.
Starting Skills Edit
|Skill||Typical Value||Typical Modifier||Available Ingame?|
|Concentration||33 (depends on Willpower)||4d5||No|
|Detect item status||75||3d4||No|
|Healing||45 (depends on Learning)||4d5||Yes|
Crowning Gifts Edit
Prior to v. 1.2.0, Priests could receive Justifier — which makes a terrible crowning gift as it deals half damage when not wielded by a Paladin. None of the other gifts are particularly undesirable, but not excellent either.
Special Abilities Edit
Class Abilities Edit
- Like Paladins, Priests can only invoke or benefit from their class powers whilst their deity is very pleased or happier with them.
- In earlier versions of ADOM, only Priests could automatically determine the B/U/C status of any item. This was made into a skill instead, which Priests are very proficient with.
- Heir gift: A swift eternium mace of the sun for Mist Elves, or a swift heavy mace of the sun for other races.
- Priests need 50% more marks to increase weapon skills.
Class Powers Edit
- Level 6: Gain the ability to turn undead (only affects some weaker undead creatures).
- Level 12: Spellcasting PP costs are reduced by 10%.
- Level 18: Spellcasting PP costs are reduced by 25% (overrides level 12 power).
- Level 25: Spellcasting PP costs are reduced by 50% (overrides level 18 power).
- Level 32: Prayer piety costs are reduced by 50%.
- Level 40: Gain the ability to instantly destroy the following undead creatures: skeletons, zombies, ghuls, shadows, ghosts, wights, wraiths, ghost bats, slow shadows, mummies, corpse fiends and shadow centipedes
- Level 50: Gain the ability to instantly destroy the following undead creatures: liches, spectres, vampires, revenants, skeletal warriors, ghost lords, shadow trolls, master liches, shadow lords, greater mummies and steel zombies.
Starting Gear Edit
|Human||Troll||High Elf||Gray Elf||Dark Elf|