Rangers are wilderness adventurers who specialize in two-weapon and ranged combat, and they feature among the largest number of starting skills of any class. Unfortunately, wilderness abilities are of limited use in regular play since the majority of the game is spent in dungeons, and many players dislike two-weapon combat because of its inherent penalties; nonetheless, Rangers are still a relatively popular class because their skillset and excellent modifiers offers the ultimate in flexibility in playstyle. Obviously, for players who wish to use two-weapon combat for extended periods of time, Rangers are an ideal class. Orcs and Dark Elves are among the most popular choices since one of the important skills Rangers do lack is Find Weakness, and both races have excellent starting gear. Because of the relatively unimpressive nature of Ranger class powers, Trolls are also a perfectly respectable choice, since leveling is less important.
Basic Information Edit
Base Stats Edit
The base stats for male Rangers are tabulated below. Female Rangers will, on average, have -1 Strength and +1 Dexterity compared to males. Note that any value may vary from these typical values by around +/-5 due to starsigns or birth effects, and further if the question system is not employed. See Talk:Archer for details on how these tables were generated.
Starting Skills Edit
|Skill||Typical Value||Typical Modifier||Available Ingame?|
|Two Weapon Combat||55||4d4||Yes|
Crowning Gifts Edit
Rangers have at least a few gifts that are passably good: Nature's Companion and Sun's Messenger are always good to receive, and one-handed spear enthusiasts will be reasonably happy with the otherwise mediocre Bugbiter. True Aim is very attractive (as of v. 1.2.0) since it deals huge damage and (usually) returns when fired. Once the Ranger gains the level 40 class power which provides a sufficient substitute for seven league boots, the Boots of the Divine Messenger are also very attractive. Nature's Friend, on the other hand, is almost useless.
Special Abilities Edit
Class Abilities Edit
- All classes receive a base penalty of -6 to-hit on each weapon while fighting with two weapons. This penalty is waived for Rangers.
- Heir gift: Masterwork mithril battle axe of the eagle (+3, 1d6+5 or similar)
Class Powers Edit
- Level 6: Finds more food and passes less time when using Survival; makes the PC immune to weather effects (rain namely).
- Level 12: No longer slowed by terrain in wilderness.
- Level 18: Missile range is increased by 4.
- Level 25: Attempts to evade wilderness encounters are always successful. Monsters can still ambush PCs with bad luck.
- Level 32: Reduces the weight penalty using two weapon combat by 50%. In practice, this means that (combined) weapon weights of less than 120 are free.
- Level 40: Movement energy cost reduced to 750.
- Level 50: Reduces the weight penalty using two weapon combat by 75%. In practice, this means that (combined) weapon weights of less than 240 are free.
Starting Gear Edit
|Human||Troll||High Elf||Grey Elf||Dark Elf|